"The Blessing of the Animals" (1978) by Leo Politi
 
DESCRIPTION: 10-foot by 25-foot 3-sided acrylic mural with ceramic tile, wrapping the south walls and entrance to the Bizcailuz Building


COMMENT:  Leo Politi intended this mural to commemorate St. Francis of Assisi's love for all creatures (Wikipedia).  It reflects the annual "Blessing of the Animals" religious and cultural event held every Saturday before Easter at El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historic Monument in Los Angeles.    
     The practice dates to the 4th Century BC when Catholic Saint Antonio De Abad, as Patron Saint of the Animal Kingdom, began blessing animals to promote good health (Olvera Street Merchants Assn. Fnd.)It became a regular local religious practice in early 19th century Los Angeles at the historic La Placita Catholic Church and has been an annual Olvera Street event since 1930.
 
THE PUBLIC ART:
      
© Public Art in Public Places Project   

DETAIL: 
© 
Public Art in Public Places Project                                                       


LOCATION:  exterior entrance, 
Eugene Bizcailuz Building, 125 Paseo de la Plaza, 
El Pueblo, Los Angeles, CA