"Wallace Fountain" / "Fontaine Wallace" (1872) by Charles-Auguste LeBourg

DESCRIPTION: 1,345-pound (610 kg), 106.7-inch (2.71 meters) tall cast iron sculptural public drinking fountain (now inoperative)

COMMENT:  This Wallace Fountain (more commonly "Fontaine Wallace") is one of many throughout Paris, France and the world.  It was conceived by Sir Richard Wallace who was inspired by the Fontaine des Innocents and financed their construction and placement.  No data can be found on when and how this Wallace Fountain was installed in Westwood Village.  
 
Designed by sculptor Charles-Auguste LeBourg, this largest model was cast in 1872 by the Val D'Osne foundry.  The drinking fountains have
 an octagonal pedestal on which the arms of four caryatids support a pointed dome decorated by dolphins.  They provided a slender trickle of water from the center of the dome, falling down into a basin protected by a grille. To make distribution easier, originally there were two tin-plated iron cups attached by a small chain, staying always submerged for more cleanliness.  In Paris these cups were removed in 1952 "for Hygiene reasons."  
 
The drinking fountains were a great aesthetic success, and they are recognized worldwide as one of the symbols of Paris.  A Wallace Fountain resides outside the Wallace Collection gallery in London housing works of art collected by Sir Richard Wallace and the first four Marquesses of Hertford.  
Sources:  Wikipedia
 
THE PUBLIC ART:
©
 Public Art in Public Places Project

Detail
©
 Public Art in Public Places Project

THE PUBLIC PLACE:
©
 Public Art in Public Places Project


LOCATION:  intersection of 
Westwood Blvd. and Broxton Avenue, 
Westwood Village, Los Angeles, CA